Friday, September 1, 2017

Tips l Pros & Cons of Working In The Farm (Working Holiday)

Working holidays where you get to work in farm & earn big bucks for travel, we all have heard of this.

I would really like to put my experience into words to clear your thoughts and queries, and share to ya'll my real life experience. Fyi, I'm not under a working holiday visa but a student. 


Disclaimer: This is solely my own experience, a 23 year-old female adult who's averagely strong (I justify this myself). Well, I think I nailed it better that some guys there haha

 *monkey with mouth covered emoji 

The first day of the job, I literally feel like h e l l .....I have NEVER did such hard job in my life before. I don't mind getting my hands dirty but no doubt, it is really the

H A R D E S T thing ever.
They said it's hard but I still chose to do it anyway.

 What's the sorrow behind this big smile? Read more.
Before I begin with all the goods and the bad, the scope I involved was strawberry plantation. Things you need to know: 

This is a seasonal job so there will be four stages (I guess). From planting, cutting, picking & packing depending on your time frame. I experienced 5 days planting & 2 days of cutting. 

T I P S

(If you are looking forward to experience this in future) 

#1 The right footwear. These boots shown at picture below will be one of the most essential footwear ever. On my first day, I wore my favourite sneakers and I ruined it so badly, my legs were stuck in the mud that it was so hard for me to pull my legs up. 

#2 Gloves! If you are planning for short term just like me, these latex gloves (Left) are good enough. If you are planning for long term, I advise you to invest in more expensive ones (Right). 


#3 The appropriate clothing! Clothing that makes you will comfortable and protect you from the sun or the cold are all you need. It was really cold in the morning and scorching hot in the afternoon... but when you are all wet and got blow by the wind, you will feel the cold again. Well, so be smart in choosing what to wear! 

This was what I wore (totally inappropriate) but that was the only clothing I have packed to  cover up myself. I was only having one long sleeve which is this cardigan. I do not have a pair of boots so all I wore was short socks and slippers after I ruined my sneakers so badly. I have never feel so dirty before.


Do not forget sunscreen and towels as well!


Look at those tanned lines .... Essential clothing means including long socks D:

#4 Where did I found this job? Online! Do research thoroughly to make sure it's not scam and everything's alright. I believe they are people who come across bad leaders who never pay them wages and such. 

#5 WAGES. As mentioned, I was in planting season and my wages was as below:
1000plants (two yellow boxes below) = $35.00. One box requires more than an hour I suppose (For a group of two).
That being said, the pay wasn't great at all. Our leader took ages to pay us.

I believe there are farms that pay hourly rate. So be wise in choosing, don't be like me :p

#6 These boxes weigh approximately 4kg each. Carrying em is not a big problem but what's the real deal... ? 
Carrying this box from an end to another end is the real deal. The distance was at least 500m and what about carrying em to another field, which was really far. As everyone 'sort of' own and start off a row to plant it off but some inconsiderate people will plant at your row when they complete theirs. That's when you need to carry your boxes all the way to next field and start a new row...

#7 Do not underestimate this bag. Low cost but functioned so well.  This is for you to store your daily energy booster and most importanly WATER.

CONS

#1 We started our day as early as 5:30-6:00am and end, depending on how much were the availability of the boxes of strawberry plants. Well, you've seen quite a number of boxes in the picture above and might be starting to count how much you aim to earn per day but those boxes just gone in a blink of an eye because...

working in farm somehow felt like a competition. No kidding but some people are fast and furious. You need to complete one box in order to get another box hence clearly, not my thing. It was just unbeatable lol.

#2 This is potentially back breaking job. Just on the first day, my body ached soooo much. (Image source: Google). 

#3 Just on first day as well, super obvious tanned lines and sore hands and feet...


If you are wondering, this is the tool to sore hands..the right way to plant too! (Image source: Google)

#4 With such hard earn wages, I find it really hard to cover the accommodation expenses. I stayed in a room of three, which cost around $110 pp. $100 deposit to be paid and you need to give 2 weeks notice which I did not get back because I only survived for a week :p Glad the accommodation was clean and comfortable enough to rest after a hard day. This was where I stayed for a week because I was too tired to anywhere. I could just lay on the bed all day long to recharge for the next day.

#5 Working in the farm means it is far away from city and public transportation wasn't convenient at all. It is obviously working in remote locations so if you do not own your car, time to prepare money again...$5 daily. 

PROS


To summarise, this is one intense and tough lesson but valuable enough, one lifetime experience that teaches you 'money is not easy to earn but the experience that counts'.
I would still recommend to everyone else despite all above. You will get to meet people from all walks of life, sharing to each other the reason you are at this laid back country and possibly making new friends that last for a life time. 

Hope you enjoyed my sharing x
Do it while you are young and bold!

If you have more question regarding this, do email me at kityii@hotmail.com Would be happy to assist if I could.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dear...
    This is an amazing blog in terms of information, content and user readability. This blog is a representation of an extraordinary effort and research. I would like to address you about a similar website which delivers the best effective, authentic and efficient content on system security, Anti Virus etc. This website is one of the leading website in India in this vertical (Free Software and Tools). Your website is so impressive that I am taking down notes from your content to show it to my friends and colleagues. Keep doing the great work. Cheers!
    --
    Aaru Garg
    Developer: Adware Removal Tool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb explanation! I found everything I was looking for. Thanks for being such a great resource! 30% off on Avira Protection

    ReplyDelete
  3. This doesn't mean that there are only a few good ones out there; there are many great brands out there. One of the most important things to consider when purchasing medcare gloves is that you get the thickest kind that you can.

    ReplyDelete